Sunday, January 29, 2006

Suvadhiva

The atoll of Suvadhiva is a most familiar atoll for me.I was working as captain on board a twelve tonner collecting vessel for Hoko Maldives in 1978. Captain Abdul Raheem Shakir (Levendly) gave me some lessons in charts ,taking course and compass measurement in Noonu Atoll before we crossed the channel ...(7 to 8 hrs) to Suvadhiva. No sooner than we crossed he handed me the boat over and went on vacation.
A totally different surrounding of voices ways and habits.Their dialect is so different to what we have up north, it can even be called a different lingo.
Went around most of the fishing islands buying fish for the mother vessel...where it was frozen and exported. All Japanese management..and very good.
But after my annual vacation, I missed the soccer, music and friends company,i quit.
I could not go back untill 1992 with Amin and Bodu Mohammed on an expedition to find the surf spots down south.
And for three years from 1995 to 1998 i was surf guide for Atoll Adventures.
Some of the best and the most heaviest breaks in the Maldives are down there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home